Welcome to an Introduction to Coaching and Mentoring that has been specifically designed to help you develop your understanding of coaching and mentoring and the benefits of using them when working in an emergency response. With this course and accompanying toolkit, you will be able to recognise how to structure and carry out an effective coaching or mentoring session.
This course uses video and scenarios to help you to build and strengthen your understanding of how to put coaching and mentoring skills effectively into practice.
On completion of this course you will:
- Understand the differences between coaching and mentoring
- Explain the purpose of both approaches and how they can be used within the constraints of the humanitarian sector
- Recognise the benefits of coaching and mentoring for different stakeholders
- Describe the steps of a coaching model: What? So what? Now what?
Be able to
- Hold a coaching and mentoring session
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the approach used and identify how to improve it
- Implement the coaching/mentoring phases - set up (contracting), establish the relationship, structure conversations, review the process
- Have the confidence to practise the skills
- Be prepared to coach
- Be curious to improve your skills further