Welcome to Topic 4 of 6 of the International Council of Voluntary Agencies' Learning Stream - Bilateral funding: Trends, challenges and opportunities for NGOs. We recommend you take Topic 1 and Topic 2 and Topic 3 before doing this section.
The recent World Humanitarian Summit reaffirmed the importance of NGO access to humanitarian financing. However, with the exception of well-resourced organizations, the majority of NGOs have a limited understanding of and influence over decisions related to humanitarian financing – and by extension, limited direct access to humanitarian financing.
In light of this, ICVA is creating an online learning stream aiming to demystify the complex humanitarian financing landscape. The stream specifically targets NGO staff, including field, policy and HQ staff. Short videos and briefing papers will help simplify complex topics. Webinars, held in partnership with PHAP, are open to anyone interested in improving their understanding of humanitarian financing. Our topics include:
- Topic One: The Humanitarian Financing Landscape - Realities and emerging trends for NGOs
- Topic Two: UN humanitarian funding - demystifying NGO access
- Topic Three: Pooled funding - how can NGOs engage?
- Topic Four: Bilateral funding - trends, challenges and opportunities for NGOs
- Topic Five: Private funding - a growing source for NGOs?
- Topic Six: The Grand Bargain and its impact on NGOs
Learning Stream Objectives
At the end of this learning stream, NGO staff who have participated in all events will:
- Have a stronger understanding of the various humanitarian financing mechanisms, and the challenges and opportunities experienced by NGOs in accessing funding.
- Be better informed to engage in further discussions; influence policy where possible; and, access humanitarian financing.
Primary Audience: NGOs with limited exposure to - and understanding of - humanitarian financing mechanisms. Focused specifically on NGO staff engaged in policy, strategy, resource mobilization and organizational leadership.
Secondary Audience: All other NGO staff, other humanitarian actors; general public etc.
PHAP Credentialing Program: Understanding the Humanitarian Ecosystem
This webinar will help you prepare for the PHAP Credentialing Program certification in Understanding the Humanitarian Ecosystem.
In particular, the webinar will address segment 2.6 of the certification assessment outline. It also addresses some aspects of segments 1.5 and 1.7.
Read more about the PHAP Credentialing Program