Welcome to the Management Essentials Pathway. This training package curates a number of core managerial courses from across Kaya in one place. You can study this package as set out and in full, or you can navigate your own route through it depending upon your existing knowledge and skill set.
The Pathway is designed in particular for new managers in humanitarian response. It introduces good practice in the management of responses and includes activities that focus on the practical development and application of essential knowledge and skills. It is made up of 3 themes, each addressing different competencies required of new humanitarian managers. The three themes are;
- stepping up to management
- managing others
- managing humanitarian response
Within each of the three themes there are between 3 and 5 topics that address aspects of skills and knowledge to attain the relevant competencies. The topics are built using existing on-line courses. A diagram setting out the structure of the package is below.
The content is all on-line, and there are useful documents embedded in the topics/modules, although sometimes we have provided additional resources too. We expect the whole package to take 12 hours of study. It is not expected that you will study the package in one go, but break it up into manageable study sessions to suit you.
By completing this package you will be able to:
- Understand the role of management and its responsibilities
- Manage budgets and resources transparently, accountably and sustainably
- Manage humanitarian response for results
- Know how to lead and motivate your team
- Manage your team’s performance
- Distinguish between managing and coaching situations
- Look after yourself and your team
- Operationalise your mandate within the boundaries of international humanitarian law and human rights law
- Assess risk and manage the security of your team and crisis affected populations
- Challenge sexual and gender based violence
- Negotiate and broker hierarchical relationships for cooperation and coordination
- Ensure accountability to donors and crisis affected populations
These are the core learning outcomes of the package, but each topic/module will have its own learning outcomes to give you a more detailed steer on the learning you can expect from each topic.